Monday, February 17, 2014

Episode 32: Eating ICE and HOLLADYETS!

Jan 26
Today I rode on the worlds longest escalator in the world. What a dream. I have included a photo for your enjoyment. The metro system here is all my dreams come true.

"On the longest escalator in the world!!"
Feb 2.
Today my aspirations of standing tall came to an end as I ate the ice quicker than I could regret my foolish step onto a mini ice mountain. WOOOOOOP. Flat on my back. flip to my stomach and curled over in laughter. Nothing hurt,. Just a little bit of pride damage. (this is eating ice)
FALL COUNT: 1
(I hear 5 times is a heardy success. So I have for more opportunities left to prove I am not a total clutz)
Silly little humans on the streets of Ukraine.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have become a real life Ukranian missionary. Tried my first hollodyets. Infamous Ukranian speciality. Do yourself a favor and look this stuff up. It is MEAT JELLO made from fat. like the stuff you scrap straight from grandmas turkey pan. Jiggly. slimy. meaty. chunks of meat and meat fat.
I have earned my keep in Ukraine:::::::
As I reached for second helpings like any good missionary would do.
Slithered straight down my throat with a meat chunk to trail.
GULP.
I am so brave.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sister Neilson, Orlieb, and Leavitt

So I am not sure I have said about Sister Leavitt (the most champion missionary I have ever laid eyes on) and Ortlieb (my German gem-- she is from Germany and I love her so much I could die). They are the other set of sisters in this area with me and Sister Nielsen. We often spend go to lessons together or do creative finding. Before they came me and Sister Lamoreaux were the only sisters in this area. Now their is two sets of us taking on this world! :) haha. Well this is beside the point--- So the two of them come up to us on Sunday and want to recount the story of their encounter with a less active (who was from our list (our responsivility) and they met with)(thank goodness hahaha) because this is what happened.
The woman was thrilled to meet them. (that is unusual) and sent them very detailed instnructions on how to get to this obscure location (that is unusual) when they get there she has a cake made for them (SO unusual) and is the happiest person in the world (this is not normal for less actives--- not being hung up on is a pleasant surpose---assistance in finding their home... any sort of enthusiasm to meet is a dream come true!!!! This woman was every missionaries dream!)
As the story goes.
They find themselves at a hospital and this woman thinks that they are from red cross and are going to perform surgery for their uncle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE THINKS THEY ARE SURGEONS!!!!!!!!!!!!. His last hope. (what the heck.) HER DREAMS CRUSHED She all too quickly finds out that they are but two humble little sister missionaries who barely speak Russian. Have little college education and are the fartherst thing from surgens! ahhhhhhh.
What is this?!?!??!
The woman was crushed --- hands them the cake that she had made them.. and tells them to get on the bus and leave. ---- these two sisters walk away just floored out how terribly this hopeful meeting with a less active turned for the worst. OH MY WORLD. Their story and day just gets better and better.
As they piece themselves together from the horrific experience they had just had they are approaching the temple grounds -----------------------
an english treasure (someone who speaks english) approaches them. A member of the church.
"Sister!!!" - the woman says to Sister Leavitt. (all hasty and business frightening like)
"Do you want to go home???" - she asks..(accusitive)
caught of gaurd...... uhhhhh. .............. scared for what is coming next. baffled why this is happening to her.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
;
;
;
;
"IF YOU WANT TO GO HOME... YOU JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING"
................. (what?). This is a deep cut to any humans efforst.. what in the world is this day???????
/
/
/
/
/
/
//
/
/
/
/
//
/
The moral of the story. Apparently the sisters were not properly dressed for the winter (without hats) hahaha. and they were going to probably die. (thus being sent home) because they were not wearing hats. (sure evidence of a sister who needs to be sent home)
Well enough said.
SO I bought myself a scarf today
So don't expect me home early. I won't die this winter.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I had to brace myself on the wall when they recounted this story to me. tooooo good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simple missionary treasure moments!
This week I just had one of those moments of overwhelming joy from one of the most routine less active visits. We have a less active mother and daughter (vika and maria) I have been here so many times, I cannot even count. in this time spent there I have seen Maria come back into activity. She is now going to the temple. Miracles.
Vika on the other hand has always been hard to understand. I never really knew why she didn't come to church and quite honestly I don't really think she does either. We have tried many different approaches. Many different powerful talks. Left commitments, called them on the phone. Invited them to activities, invited her to pray. committed them to pray together. read together as a family. Really all of the things that I can think of and she has always been unresponsive. As of late Sister Nielsen and I took a different approach. So simple. Perhaps incredible 'no duh' but something is beginning to change about our meetings with her.
We have begun to read the Book of Mormon with her. From the beginning and really breaking down the story for her. It is such a slow process and a different approach than I have ever taken before but the results are beautiful. She is engaged in our conversations. The story of this family (Lehi) is coming alive for her. She has questions and I just feel like this is all making more sense.
My little moment of joy came during reading one of the very ordinary chapters in 1 Nephi as Vika asked us a question. I could feel her curioiusity: that this family, their lives, choices, were really coming alive for her. I could see light enter her as she expressed interest in this book that I know to be so powerful. A power I have barely yet to comprehend but I am learning. I am listening.
I love the Book of Mormon. I love it more and more every time I read it. I am likely the farthest thing from a well versed missionary in the scriptures but I want that to change. This is the start of a different life for me. I want my children to have an opportunity to be enganged in the scriptures like I never was. I am so grateful to be here. To help others to see the goodness that this gospel has to offer. To assist in opening the eyes of the clueless (like me) to the pure goodness, wisdom, opportunity that the Book of Mormon has to offer simple humans like me.
I just felt this unreal joy. Things pieced together for me and I saw a clearer picture of the opportunities, opened to us by the Book of Mormon. That there are stories here that can be so confusifng but if we just take a little minute to really try and understand there is so much to be taken from them. The stories there have come alive for me as all together we broke apart each verse. As I asked myself why the effort was made to carve these words into the plates. What can I learn from these stories.
It was one of the more simpler missionary experiences that I have had. Nothing extravagant or miraculous but just the light and joy that I could read from Vika's face as these people and the stories came alive for her.
I am so grateful.
I am yet safe despite what you hear. :)
Love you all so much



"Being Ukrainian"

Sister Powell

1 comment:

  1. Sister Jessica, Thanks for sharing your experiences. The work is hastening and it is exciting to be a part of it in this time. Wally and I are going to be full-time stay at home missionaries. We are just waiting for our letter to learn when we report to the MTC. It is a new program being tested along the Wasatch Front. Each stake will have a senior couple attached. It will be for 18 months and we are going to be with the Spanish ward. Love you lots, Stay safe, Wally and Judy Breitenstein

    ReplyDelete