Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Episode 13: Fillin up the fridge.

What a special week. Each seems to get better and better and I just wonder how that can even be! 
It has been raining here.... pretty much the whole time I have been here. I kind of love it. It makes the time when you sit with a Ukranian human and drink tea together such a special moment. Tea is my new favorite beverage! Who would have thought.. it used to hurt my belly now I just want to drink it all day!
Winter is closing in and I have decided--- as the Ukranians would have it. If you have yourself a sheer pair of tights you are ready to take on the winter with perfect health! hahaha. Seriously. if you do not wear tights. You might die! Ask any Ukranian.
I love it here. Everyday is my favorite kind of adventure. This week took on a battle with the rain and came out wetter than a shower! REAL rain!

 Thats a lesson learned about umbrellas and coats! Who cares if the sun is shining pack yourself some winter clothes or you might be punished! Ressed assured that all problems were solved with some BIG AND GRACIOUS Ukranian hospitallity. Luda's very own robe to wear. Fried potatoe goodness. 2 cups of tea. a pear. and we left her house were her jackets and using her umbrella for protection. Next time I better wear tights or I am going to leave wearing someone elses tights! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I call this next portion of missionary work POSTER ON THE FRIDGE! 


So two weeks ago the title of my letter had a little something to do with Fridges. If you have not read it, go back and do so cause the rest of this just may not make any sense at all. 

It came time for our weekly and always adventurous exchange! This time I was to leave my area and go to Billasterkva where sister Dryden serves! ADVENTURE. So lets have an honest moment. I do not often talk to those people that I stand next to on public transportation as I should because honestly I don't quite yet speak their language-- or maybe I do!!!! SO lets just test this right out on a woman I now like to call "Raisa "poster on the fridge" " and now I will tell you a little but of how this came to be! 

She sat next to me on the bus. I am terrified but am reminded of the promise that I made and we ALL know I am a lady of my word------ so here is what is running through my mind.
MY OWN WORDS
"This week I will give all that I have to live up to the special call in which I have been given. To let my fear of god take priority over my fear of man"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh BIG PROMISE! 

My honor lies in heeding my own promise to the President of my mission and even more to my Heavenly Father! I know what I have done! He knows what I have done and I cannot sit next to this woman for the next hour and a half knowning that I said I would not be a pansy!

'Faith precedes the miracle"
I have to first open my mouth and it shall be filled! Well long story short. She now knows everything about me. Showed pictures! talked and talked. I know about her and her family!!!! We talked the whole ride and she even missed her stop! A full blown Russian conversation with the sweetest woman who ever exsisted. She has children. She believes in Christ but does not like the darkness of the Provaslovnee church! She is golden! She gave me her phone number and started talking about when we could meet! I know she will just die when she sees the temple (she was pointing out all the different Ukranian churches along out way) (They are all so unique and beautiful) I cannot wait to show her the temple! I called her the next day and she was so happy to hear from me! Told me that she told her son all about me and was sad that I had already gone back to Keiv! Just waiting for her to return to Kiev so I can share with her all that is so important! AHHHHHHHHHHH

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up" (D&C 84:88).
I know this is true. That is all that needs be said. Heavenly Father knew I would fulfil my promise and so SO merciful to allow so many paths to accomplish! This morning I looked back on this week and saw that every single day I fulfilled my promise in some way or another, big... and sometimes small. Miracles. baby miracles. big miracles. REAL miracles. Real people. I received phone numbers, invited, shared, called back, set up meetings; all things I have never done on my own and have still not done on my own, because I KNOW that heavenly father was there preparing the way as he had promised!

Lets talk a little about faith. It is certainly something under construction in my little mission world. It is so ellusive and really requires so much!

"There are two kinds of faith. One of them functions ordinarily in the life of every soul. It is the kind of faith born by experience; it gives us certainty that a new day will dawn…It is the kind of faith that relates us with confidence to that which is scheduled to happen… There is another kind of faith, rare indeed. This is the kind of faith that causes things to happen. It is the kind of faith that is worthy and prepared and unyielding, and it calls forth things that otherwise would not be. It is the kind of faith that moves people. It is the kind of faith that sometimes moves things… It is a marvelous, even a transcendent, power, a power as real and as invisible as electricity. Directed and channeled, it has great effect." (Boyd K. Packer,

"What is Faith?"
Maybe I am not there yet. Maybe I am. All I know is I can start where I am now. Where are you?

I have great faith that heavenly father fulfills his promises and that I am where I need to be! This mission is so special. I am so grateful and humble to be here. I am grateful for my life thus far and the role that each of you has played. I am grateful for my family. each and everyone. My friends. I think everyday of the people I know back home. How you all help me to relate to these people here. To see their trials, be aware of their understanding. I feel like I have such a fresh perspective on a lot of things because of all the different people who have blessed my life. I think of all of you so often! I pray for you every night! I want my brothers to know I love and miss them! My big sister! ahhh just everyone. I love you all.
Till next week my friends. Just pray that I may remain humble and brave.
Ps. I have changed my middle name to humble. Thats my new state of being. I just cannot do this alone.
With fat buckets of love and Ukranian kisses (those are my favorite)

Sister Jessica Humble Powell. Cute? 

Excuse me Carissa Pettit! Where are you????? I met a little friend of yours called Elder Crookshanks! That was exciting! I recognized him! "You look familiar..........." he was a little confused but was the one who figured out why. Email me sugar!
My Address
vul. Yubluneva 1
s. Sofiivska Borshahivka
Kyevo-Svyatoshinkly rayon
kyivska oblast 08131
UKRAINE

No comments:

Post a Comment